Thursday, January 14, 2010

How did it get to be Friday already? This week's poem, Spelling Bomb, by Joyce Sidman, is about a kid who did not win the spelling bee. Reading it took me back to 6th grade. Here goes...

Spelling Bomb

to my mother

I can't believe I lost.
I know I disappointed you.
Do you really think I don't care?
I know how important it is to win.

I know I disappointed you;
I saw it in your face when I misspelled.
I know how important it is to win;
I studied hours and hours.

I saw it in your face when I misspelled.
I saw you turn away from me.
Even though I study hour and hours,
I never seem to be your champion....




The rest of this poem and others written in the voices of kids, parents, teachers, pets and one of my favs, the school custodian are in the book This is Just to Say; Poems of Apology and Forgiveness by Joyce Sidman. Illustrator, Pamela Zagarenski and Sidman make a dream team, don't you think? (See my post from last week!)



p.s. Do you know what type of poem Spelling Bomb is? Hint: It's the author's favorite. The answer is in the book. I'll send you a prize if you get the answer right!

p.s.s. Mary Ann over at (Great Kid Books) has the rest of the poetry roundup.


Lisa

1 comment:

Kelly Polark said...

Awwww, poor kid! Great poem (and I don't know what kind of poem it is...). Some parents are so tough on their kids!