Saturday, October 24, 2009




The poetry roundup is over at Big A, little a. I'm in today with a poem shared earlier this week by a friend and colleague who recently celebrated her wedding anniversary, who had this poem read at her wedding. It is posted here in her honor, and in honor of my favorite newlyweds who are honeymooning in Maine, after one of the all-time best weddings ever; and in thanksgiving for my own sweet life partner!

To My Dear and Loving Husband

by Anne Bradstreet


If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay;
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let’s so persever,
That when we live no more, we may live ever.


Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672) is generally considered the first American poet. Born around 1612 near Northampton, England, she married Simon

. . . MORE »

No comments: